The Legal Unit of the Office of the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation performs the following functions among other things:
- Advising the Head of the Civil Service, the Permanent Secretaries, Directors and the various Departments and Units within the OHCSF on the Legal implications of their official actions and in-actions.
- Drafting the contractual Agreements that officially involve the Office of the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation with any contractor or service provider
- Vetting and advising on all Memoranda of Understanding (MOUs) involving the OHCSF and the appropriate Department(s) or other Bodies
- Giving Legal Advice/opinion on issues involving OHCSF or any of its Departments; Advising the OHCSF on issues involving discipline of officers to ensure compliance with DUE PROCESS and extant practice;
- Examining the appeals sent to HCSF by officers suspended, terminated, interdicted or dismissed and advice the Management accordingly.
- Defending suits, subpoenas and other court actions brought against HCSF & OHCSF in the discharge of their duties.